Thursday, September 18, 2008

waiting for my ride

So we just finished a good six shows in a row this week, something I don't think we've ever done before. Actually I think it was 10 shows in 12 days to be exact. What a whirlwind, but what an awesome way to spend the last two weeks! I still can't believe how well the tour is going. Every night we've been shocked at how many people are actually showing up and singing along. We have an ongoing joke I'll let you in on as to why things have bode so well, then I'll try explain what I really think it is...

A few weeks ago we played a show in Kansas City and I decided to bring a rug to put on stage. I have to admit it's rather funny showing up with  A rug.  Not enough rugs to cover the stage mind you, but just one lonely rug to place on my 5 x 8 space on the stage. You see, all the big guys have been doing this for years and I don't think it's just because of the 'vibe' effect. It feels good on the feet and I believe it has great acoustical purposes in the way it counteracts the harshness from a blaring guitar amp.  Most drummers will use a rug to prevent their hardware and drums from slipping all over the place. It also helps to move a kit a few inches with one gentle pull on the rug.  Mark has actually been setting up his kit the past 12 years on a rug we stole from my mom. No joke - it's out on tour with us right now. So I decided it was high time I got a rug of my own. Kansas City was the first city to catch a glimpse and I honestly think the show went amazing! It just felt like everything on the rug was under control. When we started the tour we felt like it was time to kick it all up a notch and so we decided to grab an additional rug. I know - it's kind of a big deal, but we thought it was the right time. So here we are out on tour with 2 rugs and things are just smokin'. Every night after a great set we joke that it's 'gotta be the rugs.' I mean every night we're walking off stage and for the first time in sanctus real history we feel like we're just part of something bigger that is happening and none of us are really in control of it.  Well the jokes are funny for many reasons. Pete and Dan are funny guys, so of course the rug comments are new and more hilarious every night. But when all the joking subsides and we're still scratching our heads as to why this tour is going better than expected it becomes more and more obvious that it's God's blessing on it and nothing at all to do with cheap oriental rugs. We really believe that what this tour is doing is far greater than playing some songs and selling t-shirts. Of course we've always been concerned with writing songs to encourage people and relate what God has done in our lives, but everything has such deeper meaning this time around because we're helping to build wells for refugees in Darfur. It really is life changing. Thousands of people will get to drink clean water now because of people joining together at the shows and committing to send just 7 bucks a month to the mocha club. I can't even begin to describe how crazy it is that over $100,000 has been raised already!! We're not even a quarter of the way through the tour! To sit here and think that this dream we had earlier this year of taking the 'we need each other' theme on the road is now a God-breathed reality is absolutely mind blowing. So yeah - rugs are cool, but people coming together for the broken and thirsty is where I really want to be.

SO - thanks for reading. I'm waiting for my ride to Virginia. I'm excited to see what lies ahead. I'm also about 3 chapters from the end of a great book.  Check it out... The Shack

12 comments:

andra said...

$100,000? That's great. God is good!
Sanctus Real is in my prayers! ;)

God bless!

Rockermom said...

well good morning my dear friend. this was the best blog ever, thanks for sharing, it blessed my heart beyond belief. I'm soo excited too hear what God is doing thru this tour and that you guys are having soo much fun, rug and all :-)

I cant wait till tomorrow when you'll rock in MA and I know its gonna be awesome.

Have a great day.

Be blessed!

nate said...

"The Shack" is all the rage now-a-days...my wife is reading it and trying to convince me to. I was supposed to have been moved to KC by now. Too bad. I haven't seen a Sanctus show in 5 years.
Peace Man!

Unknown said...

Hahaha, you wear a rug! Oh wait... Read that wrong. :-)

I have to say the rugs give the stage a pretty cool look. So it does add to the aura.

Isn't it great to be used by God? Keep on doing his will and he'll keep on blessing you guys.

Jake said...

Christian band?

Cassie said...

It was awesome to see you guys in Spring Arbor, I'm so so so glad to hear of all that God is doing to move in the hearts of these people to help people at the back of the line! :) Can't wait to work the table in Port Huron!

KCROX said...

I remember the rug, quite honestly i thought it was just a stage prop, or maybe even something David Martin found in the auditorium. Kerrville had such an awesome time, and my sister still has the guitar pick you gave her.

Unknown said...

It's great to hear the tour is going so well, rug & all!

Our prayers go with you all!

Lisa & Craig
:o)

Audra E. said...

That's totally awesome. :)

Rockermom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rockermom said...

Hi Chris

You were amazing this weekend, a true Guitar HERO (its gonna be impossible for the guy who is going to play for you while you're on paternity leave). BTW, cool rug - I took a few pics. It was sooo great hanging with you guys Friday & Sunday - what an Awesome Tour.

Have a great few days at home and enjoy the rest of the tour.

Much love, be blessed!

PS - you better post pics as soon as baby Chris Jr is born....

andra said...

Chris,
I think you and Dominique should call the baby Chris Jr. cause everybody calls him Chris Junior already. :)

Hope you and the other guys are doing great.
Keep rockin!