Friday, July 11, 2008

yeah I got an agent, and a roadie named bart...




It took me a few days to get around to writing about one of the most memorable nights of my life. For that I apologize - it just took me that long to recover! WOW. Tom Petty, 4th row on the river in Cincinnati. I mean this guy alone is just about the biggest reason I wanted to play music when I was young. And it only took me this long to get around to seeing him live. And he was pretty much right in front of me. I debated if I should bring my vinyl records in to the show to hold up and try to get his attention. I was so freaking nervous too! Haha - but it was awesome when he looked my way and gave a nod (right at me of course) when I held up my Damn the Torpedoes record during Even The Losers. And then during Saving Grace when I held that vinyl up and got Mike Campbell's nod of approval that warranted a pick throw that woefully fell short by only an arms reach. AHHH! But he made sure to shield his eyes well enough to get a good look at the skinny kid with big hair and genuine vinyl records in the 4th row ;)

So yeah - what a night...

YOU WRECK ME
LISTEN TO HER HEART
I WON'T BACK DOWN
EVEN THE LOSERS
FREE FALLIN’
MARY JANE
SWEET WILLIAM
END OF THE LINE
BAND INTRO
BREAKDOWN
SAVING GRACE
HONEY BEE
YOU DON’T KNOW HOW IT FEELS
LEARNING TO FLY
DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE
REFUGEE

ENCORE:
RUNNIN' DOWN A DREAM
MYSTIC EYES
AMERICAN GIRL

I've never had a more amateur video moment than this.... As soon as he came close I almost dropped the camera.



8 comments:

andra said...

Cool! It looks like you had a lot of fun!! ;)

Matt Bunk said...

You can die happy now. He is the best. When Nina and I saw him, I remember thinking, man the crowd loves him so much. He could have played three more songs with all the time he spent just walking the stage and getting applause. Looks like you and Dom had a great time.

Unknown said...

Funny, you sound just like my friend who teared up during a song when we were in the front row inside the heart at U2 in 2001. I still make fun of him for that.

You didn't cry or anything, did you?

Keeli4Jesus said...

DUDE!!!
Now, I am even more excited to see him on Wednesday with my dad!! heck yes!!
Thanks for sharing the pics!!

God Bless,
Keeli
xoxo

Rockermom said...

ahhhh, glad you had such a great time at the concert. I know the feeling of being acknowledge by the band playing and is awesome. Maybe next time you'll catch the pick, lol

Anyways, any word on the sex of the baby???

Hope you're having an amazing summer. Much love, be blessed!

Cherylyn. said...

awww! Chris, you make me laugh!
i'm picturing you waving your records in the air and snappping photos & taking videos....
how super phenomenal is that feeling of finally being able to see your musical hero live?!
i'm pumped you had such a fab time!
i'm sad you boys are going to be in Richmond, VA in two days & i'm not going to be there... it's only a 3 hour drive from Virginia Beach....but as you know, gasoline prices are atrocious & i'm a poor college kid.
hahah.
I hope you have a glorious week.
<3
Cherylyn.

Matthew said...

Hi, I was wondering what brand guitars you play? I have a Yamaha electric and an Ashton accoustic.

Thanks. :-D

Unknown said...

Man, there's a bunch of us matthews around aren't there? :)