Tuesday, December 23, 2008

sshhh!!

I'm up a little late. Mark sent over some song ideas we had recorded on the road but had since forgotten. Well, at least I had forgotten. It's fun to listen to something you did but don't really remember. It caused me to look through my iTunes library at the 'album' entitled junk which consists of at least one hundred song fragments. Junk is a very fitting name for this collection, even though it has been cleaned out plenty of times during this age of the mp3. I came across one recording though that I really enjoyed hearing again. It's from a night I'm pretty sure all the guys remember fondly... the night we wrote the song 'eternal.' I'll try to explain it in a way that doesn't sound pretentious - but we came up with the bones to at least 4 songs in a period of 2 days last year when we were in desperate need for some new material. We had already recorded a good portion of the record, but we honestly lacked some key elements - of which included Half our lives, turn on the lights, we need each other, and eternal. Those four songs were demoed in rough form during 2 nights we took off from the road late in the summer of '07. But the one that came out the best then was Eternal - at least in my opinion. It felt like the most pure thing we had ever written or created in a day's time. It was a real highlight for me in the whole twelve years we've been together actually! For the first time ever the five of us got in a room and created a piece of worship with no strings attached and with no commercial ploy in mind. Maybe I should re-word that... We love making music, we are privileged to share and record it, but this song was all of us in a room making a sound that reflected the love of Christ for us. Even as I listen now I get a bit worked up over it. So yeah, here it is for you to hear... It's one take, 2 mics in a bad sounding room, matt singing through a guitar amp and no sauce to cover anything up. This was the first and only complete take. I'm pretty sure I could get in trouble for posting this, so keep it on the down low ;) It's a video file but it's all blank - just give it a listen...

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

andra said...

Wow! Great job. Thanks for posting that.
You rock! :)

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing with us. Thanks for allowing us to be part of the SR family.

Rockermom said...

Hi sweetie

Thanks for the Christmas gift. This is one of my favorite songs, it always gives me the chills. Cant wait to hear the new songs you guys are working on.

Anyways, wishing you a wonderful Christmas with Dominique, Josiah and the rest of the family . Have a happy and healthy 2009.

Much love, be blessed!

Rockermom

Cassie said...

Thanks for sharing Chris, I'm prayin for the writing of the new record, let God speak through you all like he has in the past and there is no doubting it'll be another masterpiece!

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't have picked this song as my display name on here and myspace if i didn't think this was great song.

i'm excited for the new album. i'm praying for you guys. God's doing some crazy beautiful things in 09. i just know it!